Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lon Kruger's coaching philosophy


On his coaching style: "In college, I played for a coach who absolutely motivated out of fear. No one enjoyed going to practice. No one looked forward to it. Everyone was scared. He was a great coach. He got great results. I had a great relationship with him and learned a great deal from him, but that wasn't me. We're kind of the other extreme."
On positive coaching: Kruger has a 80-20 rule, about the ratio of positive reinforcement to constructive criticism, that he instructs his coaches to use. "Is that how I would like to be treated? What is it that I would want from my leader, my boss, my coach? It's not so much about what I say but what they hear. Sometimes we get confused. Motivate them in their best interest and they'll run through a wall for you."