Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rip Hamilton "Marathon Man"


Newspaper article on Richard Hamilton titled "Marathon Man" refering to the Piston guards' great work ethic. Here are some excerpts:


During the season, conditioning coaches are responsible for keeping players in top shape; in the off-season it's the players' job. Hamilton takes his conditioning seriously. His off-season training day usually begins at 9 a.m. with a run near his home in Washington, D.C, with his pit bulls, Shark and Diamond. He runs five times a week until they're all dogtired. "I just go out there and sprint," Hamilton says. "Once I know they're tired, I know I've done my job."


After a run he hits the gym for an hour of individual basketball drills, which he does six days a week. "As soon as I step on the court, I go hard," he explains. "Everything is moving, coming off screens, no stationary shots. I just shoot till I'm tired." He also lifts weights four times a week for strength and flexibility, focusing on the core muscles.


He boosts his endurance and recuperative powers by following a strict diet. "My dad is a health freak," says Hamilton, a Coatesville, Pennsylvania, native. "When I was young, he had me drink V8 juice." Hamilton's father still cooks for him during the summer, and Hamilton remains an avid and dedicated vegetable and fruit drinker.


In the off-season, Hamilton typically downs six egg whites, oatmeal and some fruit for breakfast. During the season, his usual pre-game meal, two hours and 10 minutes before a game, consists of whole-wheat pasta smothered in mariana, grilled chicken breasts and vegetables. "What you put into your body is what you get out of it," he says. Being fit is "a lot more than just working out."


Most athletes regard their bodies as investments; Hamilton treats his as a temple. "I've never drunk alcohol or smoked cigarettes in my life," he says.


"He's in the top 1 percent of NBA players when it comes to fitness," says Arnie Kander, the Pistons' conditioning coach. "He's very aware of what's required to keep his body healthy. He's always looking for that edge that can help take his body to the next level."


Chauncey Billups, Hamilton's teammate, once marveled, "He doesn't ever get tired." But what does a tireless pro with monklike devotion to fitness have to teach weekend warriors wanting to stay in game shape?


Hamilton's advice is direct: Respect your body and believe in your abilities. "Sometimes when you think your body can't go to a different gear, push it to the limit," he urges.