Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2008

Adrian Peterson: Heart of a Champion

Expectations are something Adrian Peterson knows a little about. He is only a few weeks into his second season as a pro but is already legendary. Not because of his records (rushing for an NFL all-time single-game-best 296 yards against the Chargers) or resume (Pro Bowl MVP, Rookie of the Year, Heisman runner-up at age 19) or even his supernatural physicality (able to race 100 meters in 10.3 seconds & able to leap in 38” in a single bound). No, Peterson is a legend because he is being talked about. By his fans, of course, but also by his colleagues (teammates).

“When he’s not around, we tell stories about the things he’s done,” says Vikings wide receiver Sidney Rice. “Like the time I saw him after a hard practice, in full pads, running full speed, trying to get somebody to run gases with him. You don’t see anybody like that.”

Moments after rushing for 160 yards in his team’s heartbreaking 18-15 loss to the Colts, he doesn’t fixate on the team’s QB struggles or its vulnerable secondary. He blames only himself. “Without the win, 160 yards doesn’t mean anything,” he says, tossing a towel into his locker. “I left plays out there. I left a touchdown out there. I take it personally. I feel responsible. I do. I got tripped up. I need to do a better job picking my feet out of the hole. I can’t make mistakes like that.”

His despair surprises no one. His teammates have come to know this side of Peterson well. “Adrian’s never happy with himself,” says receiver Aundrae Allison. “He doesn’t understand his accomplishments.” Of course, from this humility flows his greatest strengths. “Adrian is different,” Childress explains. “He’s 100 MPH every day. He’s never looking for the break. He’s not looking to hide. We’re always asking him to slow down. Because frankly, the other players can’t go that hard.”

Rice remembers the first time he spied Peterson. “Adrian was alone in the gym doing pull-ups. I just stood there and watched him, lifting himself up over and over. Everyone else had gone home. But he was still there.” Since that day, Rice has witnessed more miracles. Players dragged 15 yards, defensive clusters blown out like confetti, speed that blurs the eyes. “I can’t remember ever seeing him exhausted. He’ll tell us not to bend down when we’re tired. He’ll say, ‘There’s no air down there. Stand up. Lean me.’ “

Before the season started, when all was promise and optimism, Peterson explained how his own expectations came to be. “When I was young, I had the dream of the NFL, and my mom put it in my head, ‘Don’t settle for less’. “ To achieve his dream, he made a list of goals and posted it on his door:

1) Get on top of my grades
2) Get in my Bible more
3) Stay out of trouble
4) Be the best I can be

“Believe it or not,” he says, “some of the same things I did last year on the field (in the NFL) I’ve been doing since middle school. I push myself harder. I do extra drills. NO matter how tired I am, I make sure I’m first. I got a long way to go, but I figure if I just keep doing the things I have been doing, I should be all right.”

For all his physical dominance, Peterson plays a head game. “You can tell yourself anything.” He explains. “If mentally you don’t cave in, if you push yourself beyond where you thought your body could go, you can do almost anything. A lot of people lack ambition. I figured that out pretty early. I’ve been full speed since I was little.”

From ESPN the Magazine, October 2008 issue