Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

LeBron James takes on different role for Team USA

Courtesy of Xavier Basketball (from 2007)

In his third pro season, Cleveland's LeBron James became one of the NBA's most prolific scorers, averaging 31.4 points per game and 30.8 in the playoffs.

Then he went to Japan and became......a point guard? In the FIBA world championships, James has averaged 12.5 points per game. He's third among the Americans in scoring, behind fellow captains Dwyane Wade (20.0 points) and Carmelo Anthony (19.7).

James isn't lighting up the scoreboard. But he's making his teammates better simply by being on the court. As the U.S. prepares to meet Germany in the quarterfinals Wednesday night,

James is second on the team in assists, with 3.5 per game. That's fifth among the tourney's remaining players. "I still think that's the best thing he does -- his presence, especially the passing," coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He and Wade are incredible passers."

It would be natural fora world-class scorer to fret over his point production. But James said he's not concerned with his numbers.

"If anybody knows my game, they know I don't play like that," James said after a Team USA workout this week. "I play just to help our team win. Whatever our team needs for us to try and win ballgames, that's what I'm going to do.

"I can go out there and take no shots, but if I can rebound and assist and play defense and help our team win, that's what I'm going to be," James said. "I never cared about personal statistics. Never. Never in my life."