Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Two Good Teammates


Good article on Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram and WR Julio Jones. Both of these Alabama stars are big time playmakers who have done a good job of buying into the team concept. Here is a little from the L.A. Times:
Offensive linemen don't win Heisman Trophies. Neither do running backs without a few 300-pound bulldozers clearing a path.
That's why Alabama running back Mark Ingram's Heisman acceptance speech last month included a shout-out to his five faves.
"Everything I do starts with them," Ingram said Monday."I try to give them as much praise, as much acknowledgment, as I could because they're kind of like the unsung heroes. They talk about me, but they're never on the picture, they're never on the highlights."
The linemen said they felt like they're part of the excitement, though. Peek said he was so touched by Ingram's winning the Heisman that he sobbed. Johnson said, "We felt like we were sitting there with him. It was a really special moment for the five of us. . . . I think we all felt like we had a hand in it."
Here is a little about the mindset of Alabama Julio Jones:
Sophomore receiver Julio Jones is on a significant uptick, making 29 of his team-leading 42 catches over Alabama's last six games. The increased production wasn't a result of any just-give-me-the-ball demands.
"I've been around guys demanding the ball, making problems, making issues when they don't receive the ball, but Julio never complains," quarterback Greg McElroy said. "He's a joy to have in the locker room, a joy to have in the huddle."
Said Jones: "I really don't care about stats and everything. I just go out there and play the game like it's supposed to be played and try to block . . . it's how I was raised."