Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Donte Smith finds his way off the bench behind Mike Gerrity


Good article here on the point guard situation at USC. Donte Smith (pictured left) was the starting point guard for the first eight games. Then, teammate Mike Gerrity became eligible Dec. 18th and has started every game at the point since.
Smith has seen his minutes go from 32 per game to 7 per game. Since the change, USC hasn't lost. Says Smith:
"It was frustrating at first, but I thought about it, and, hey, I've got to go with it -- we're winning."
Smith and Gerrity get along well. Each acts as the other's eyes.
"In Hawaii, every timeout he was coming up, slapping me on the back, encouraging me," Gerrity said. "Whatever he could do, whatever he saw. He was telling me, 'Hey take advantage of this, look for that.' He's just been the ultimate teammate."