Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Reynolds has earned respect and trust at Villanova


Scottie Reynolds, who's basket against Pittsburgh last week sent Villanova to the Final Four, has developed into a very good team basketball player. That was not always the case for Reynolds.
Reynolds was disliked by many of his teammates early on in his career and was accused of being selfish and taking bad shots. Reynolds contends that was not the case, but he understands how he was preceived. He is a laid back individual, something he credits to his Southern upbringing, whereas most of his teammates are 'city-tough' , intense players. The process of earning his teammates respect is important to Reynolds, as it should be for all players.
"The only people that I have to answer to are the people in this [locker] room. I can get a little crazy out there sometimes. But it's all for the right reasons. I'm trying to make a play, get us going. It might not always work out, but it's always for the right reason.
"When I hugged coach Wright afterward, he said, 'Your teammates respect you 100 percent. They're 100 percent behind you.' My freshman and sophomore seasons, I don't know if they respected me, as a man and as a basketball player, as much as they do now."