Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2009

"I love the game and I want to get better at it"



There is no doubt that great guard play is what gets teams deep into postseason play with all four teams having great examples of superb guards. No player makes his team go more than Ty Lawson. His combination of speed, quickness, shooting, and intelligence really gives North Carolina a different dimension. Says senior Tyler Hansborough has, "He makes us go."

Says Villanova coach Jay Wright:

“He’s one of the best point guards in the country who can create shots and control the tempo of the game,” Wright said.

Lawson was not always the hardest worker:

Lawson arrived from the Oak Hill Academy basketball factory with enough talent to become an immediate starter but not enough inner strength to become a leader.

My freshman year I didn’t take a lot of things seriously, not in games but in practice a lot,” Lawson said.

“When I was in high school, it was about having something fun to do. But last year and this year, I’ve taken it a lot more seriously,” Lawson said. “I love the game, and I want to get better at it.”