Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2009

A missed shot doesn't discourage a great shooter


Great game in Boston last night as the Celtics held off the Charlotte Bobcats 111-109 in double overtime. Ray Allen hit a couple of big shots for the Celtics; one to send the game into double overtime and another with 2.1 seconds left to win the game for Boston. It's not as though it was an easy night for Allen, who was struggling during the 3rd and 4th quarters with his shot.
“That’s Ray,” Pierce said. “He’s a future Hall of Famer, and great players seem to find a way. When Ray misses a shot, it doesn’t discourage him. His confidence is through the roof regardless of if he’s missed two, three, four hundred shots in a row. He always feels like the next one’s going to go in.”
Here is what Allen said about his shooting in the 3rd and 4th quarters:
“For a second, everything was flat,” Allen said. “I just needed to back away from it and get my legs back under me. I just clean-slated it. Eddie (House) was like, ‘I don’t normally say nothing to you, but your shot . . . everything is flat.’ It was all in my legs, and I knew it once the ball left my fingertips. It’s a funky thing for me. If my shots are flat, it’s all in my legs.”
As Allen worked things out in his mind, House, the hero in the previous game, offered more encouragement.
“It just takes one,” House said. “And I told Ray. I told him. I said, ‘Don’t worry, man. You’re going to knock it down when we really need it.’ And he did exactly that. You know, shooters aren’t afraid to take the next shot. Even after he shot an airball, he came back and hit the shot. That’s just a Hall of Fame player right there.”