Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Championship caliber teams focus on the little things

Article in the Boston Hearld on how newly accquired Celtics guard Stephon Marbury is adjusting to playing on a championship-level team:

As Marbury spoke, he still was breathing hard even though he’d been on a diligent workout regimen all year. But this was, he was realizing, quite different. This was Celtics abuse.

“Oh yeah, but it’s good,” Marbury said, summoning the energy for a brief smile. “It was a hard practice today defensively. Defensively this team is amazing. They work at it. They get after it. That’s what it’s about. That’s why they won the championship.”

For now, the road is not smooth for someone anointed as a star/savior in all his other basketball stops.

“I know I’m going to have hiccups,” Marbury said. “Adjusting to these guys is difficult because they play at a high level. It’s not a level where I’m used to. I haven’t played at this level. I’ve never played at a championship level before, so for me, adjusting my style of play, adjusting how I prepare . . . it’s all the same as far as going in with a mind-set, but doing things the way they do things is (what’s) very important.

Paul Pierce offered a knowing nod.

Even though it was just one day, I think he got a chance to see how we practice, how we get in here early, get our shots up, how we lift the weights - our preparation,” he said. “I think that’s key. A lot of teams, when you’re not winning, you know, the preparation and doing the little things isn’t there. But when you’re a championship-caliber team, you start looking at all the little things from the time you get in the gym to practice and the things you do after. I think him and Mikki (Moore, who is also newly acquired) are starting to see that.”