Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Mason plays through pain

Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason has been playing with a seperated shoulder for the last 2 months.

"I don't know if I've ever seen a tougher football player in 25 years of coaching," Ravens Coach John Harbaugh said. "It's a tribute to who he is as a competitor."

Here are some quotes from the article (Click here for full article):

He will be playing in his 106th consecutive game Sunday against Jacksonville, a game the Ravens must win to get into the playoffs. Baltimore could earn a postseason berth if New England loses earlier Sunday, but that won't matter to Mason.
"I don't think I've ever been in a situation because of an injury or because we've clinched a playoff berth that I've sat out a game," he said. "I still plan on going out there and being out there with the offense."

Against Dallas, Mason was forced off the field three times. He never stayed put, however, because he was determined to do his part to keep the Ravens (10-5) in the playoff hunt.
Outsiders might have perceived his back-and-forth routine to be heroic. His teammates expected nothing less.
"I knew he was going to do that," center Jason Brown said. "It might have been a surprise to you all, but knowing Derrick's heart and how dedicated he is to our team and what we're trying to do right now, I knew that nothing short of him having a heart attack or having to undergo surgery at that moment could keep him off that football field."
Ravens tight end Daniel Wilcox has battled injuries his entire career, so he knows how difficult it's been for Mason to stay on the football field, let alone perform at such a high level.
"Derrick Mason has an amazing drive for a man," Wilcox said. "Right now, he's playing though an extreme amount of pain every week. I don't know if you can put it into words what he's dealing with right now, because many times he's out there playing with one arm. Plus, people know he's hurt. He's just one of the hardest workers I've ever been around."
What could possibly cause a man to put himself through such an ordeal in his 12th NFL season? No one would blame Mason for simply throwing up his arms (well, arm) in anguish and taking a seat on the sideline.
But that's just not his style.
"I really enjoy the pure competitiveness of the game. That's what motivates me," he said. "I think you play better when your back is against the wall or when you're dealing with things, whether it's physical, mental or whatever."
Besides, what would little Derrick think if his father didn't play through the pain?
"I've always been this way. I like to go out there because I've got kids, and one day my son will want to play sports," Mason said. "I can then look back and reminisce with him that your old dad played through some tough ones. That will be motivation for him for whatever he's going through. He can look back and say, if my father can do it, I can do it."