Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Leadership Thoughts from NFL Quarterbacks


Really good article by Peter King of Sports Illustrated on NFL quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Ryan. King asked them various questions on what it takes to be the leader of the team. Here is a couple of quotes:
Question: What about toughness?
Ben Roethlisberger: I don't think toughness is when a quarterback says, "I'm going to run somebody over." Toughness is playing your worst game of your life but not backing down. You don't want to sit on the sideline. You want to stay in there and win. You down, down 21 points and the defense is getting through in every single way, and you throw three interceptions. Staying in that game, keeping your head up, trying to drive your team down the field when everything's going wrong- that's the kind of toughness I want in my quarterback.
Question: Think back to big moments or big games. How does your stomach feel?
Aaron Rodgers: When I was a point guard, I wanted the ball in the last two minutes. When I was a pitcher, I wanted the ball in the last inning. That's why in the big moments in games, I'm not tight. Those moments are why you play.
Roethlisberger: I love that. I want the ball. Our defense does some amazing things, but I want to have the ball, and that's the way I've always been playing sports.