Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Energy from the Bench

Ronny Turiaf- Heart and Soul of the Lakers

His stats will not impress you but Laker forward Ronny Turiaf brings an energy level that has helped the Lakers to one of the best records in the Western Conference. With the addition of Paul Gasol, the few minutes that he already had will become even fewer. However, that will not change his spirit and enthusiasm. Here are some excerpts from an article on nba.com


Luckily for both the Lakers and Turiaf, it looks like they made the right decision as the forward has flourished under the leadership of Phil Jackson, providing an energy level that is unmatched in the NBA.

“I was just talking to one of my teammates the other day,” said Turiaf. "I wasn’t doing my job as far as the energy guy and stuff like that and he was like, ‘Ronny, it’s your time to shine right now, it’s your time to get us pumped up.’ I really enjoy doing that. I really appreciate the way my teammates look at me.”
Wherever Turiaf goes, he is all about spreading the love—and if his contributions on and off the court in his few years in L.A. offer any indication, the Lakers have joyfully returned the forward’s giant bear hug.
With 71 games to go this season, Turiaf knows he will be relied upon to instill his contagious enthusiasm and work ethic into a young, impressionable Lakers squad. Luckily for him, it is a role he has been fine-tuning his entire life.
“I’m just going to go out there and do what I have to do—playing hard, doing the same thing I’ve been doing off the bench, trying to be opportunistic, block shots and stuff like that,” said Turiaf. “Nothing has changed in my role.”
“Overall, I want to look at myself in the mirror and say, ‘Ronny, you’ve done a better job, you’ve improved yourself and your teammates. Your coaching staff and your fans are looking at you like you’re a true part of this team where you really feel like you belong.’ That is what I want to feel like at the end of the year,” Turiaf said.
For a man that has lived in many countries, Turiaf has never had trouble belonging. In the process, it looks like he has finally found a lasting home with the Lakers.